Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Toiletries out of your pantry

Ok, I know the title is a little odd but did you know you could make face wash from some things you have in your refrigerator and pantry? This is really good for two reasons. One, it's much cheaper and two, have you ever read the ingredients list on your face wash? Do you really want all of that junk on your face? Have you ever run out of face wash or toothpaste and forget to buy more?  Read on then.

My face wash:
I don't remember the last time I bought face wash, moisturizer or a scrub.
I have oily skin so I mix equal parts of yogurt and lemon juice, stir until it gets smooth again and apply to my face with a cotton ball or a couple squares of toilet paper. I don't leave it on long, usually enough time to take the yogurt mix back to the fridge. I just wipe it off gently with warm water. The lemon kills the bacteria and the yogurt moisturizes (no need to buy moisturizer). The lemon is also helping the red acne scars on my face fade. I don't mix much, usually enough for two or three face washings and I keep it in the fridge.

I do not buy eye make up remover. I gently and carefully wipe olive oil on my eye lids and lashes and wipe it off with a cotton ball. You don't have to make sure to get all of the oil off because it will act as a moisturizer on your eyes and NO, olive oil won't clog your skin. If you've ever read the book of Esther in the Bible, you'll see that the women bathed in oil and had oil treatments. Considering they were in an area that grew olives the way we grow oranges in Florida, I'm willing to bet it was olive oil.

While we are on the subject of olive oil lets talk about my facial scrub. Pour just a tiny bit of olive oil on your hands and rub it onto your face and down your neck. Then, with oil still on your hands, dip your hands into sugar and rub the sugar all over your face. Make sure every area of your face has been rubbed about 30 seconds. Please be careful around your eyes. Also since this is food, I will wash the face yuck off my hands and rub some sugar on my lips to ex-foliate them. Carefully wipe most of the sugar off your face and rinse the rest off in the shower. I take a shower right after this because I almost always get some sugar in my hair.

Toothpaste:
In a pinch you can mix baking soda and peroxide together to make a paste. Honestly, this is what most whitening toothpastes are made of any way, they just add mint and sugar to make it taste good.

Shampoo and conditioner:
When you run out of shampoo, or gone to take a shower only to find out your child has pumped all of your shampoo into the bath tub so he can have a bubble bath you don't have to skip the hair wash. Mix a teaspoon or so of baking soda and mix with some water (1/2 a cup or so) and rub that into your hair, then rinse.
For conditioner use about a half a cup of vinegar and half a cup of water, pour onto your hair and then rinse well. I usually do the conditioner rinse about once a week any way because it takes out all of the product and residue left over by shampoo or conditioner.

Shaving product:
You can use olive oil to shave your legs. I've done it a couple of times it makes your legs feel fantastic! If you want to use it all the time, I would add some tea tree oil for antiseptic reasons.

Body Moisturizer:
Once again, olive oil. After your shower just put it on. If you do it when you are a little wet, it doesn't feel as "oily".  I don't do this very often either, when I really want to feel like a princess.

@@@@@ If you are allergic to ANY of the ingrediants, please don't do this. AKA, I'm not responsible for allergic reactions.@@@@@

Even tho Esther did not want to be in that palace, I have to think that she felt amazing after bathing in olive oil. I hope you feel like the princess you are too.

** Esther is the story of a common Jewish woman who was chosen to become a queen against her will. While she was queen, her husband decided to kill all Jews (he didn't know Esther was Jewish) and Esther stepped up, put her own life on the line save her people. Her story can be found in the Bible, the book of Esther.**

Cathy

"If you keep quiet at such a time as this, deliverance and  relief for the Jews will come from somewhere else, but you and your relatives will die. Who knows, perhaps you were made queen for such a time as this."

No comments:

Post a Comment