Friday, June 3, 2011

Whispers and Tug of War.

This is something I wrote about two years ago. I wrote it in two parts and I am publishing both parts in this blog entry.


Whispers Part I
Satan always seems to attack you when you are growing spiritually. He starts out whispering little lies into your ear. For most women, the lies are something like this.

"Your husband isn't attracted to you anymore. How could he be, you are not a good mom or housekeeper. You aren't sexy and you could stand to loose 20 pounds." She thinks to herself I could loose a few pounds and Satan grins as he takes his first foothold in your spiritual life.

The lies continue and they just get more and more personal and painful. And, each time you think you need improvement in those areas, the father of lies gains more and more.

The thing is- I know what is going on and I bite any way. I know I am being lied to. But I chose believe it. I can feel Satan hovering over my shoulder. He's saying "I know you told God you were going to purge over eating or drinking or (fill in the blank for yourself) but you work hard and no one appreciates it; so just treat yourself this time." And, if you don’t realize what is going on, your spiritual growth spurt ends and Satan wins. However, at this lie, I am done crying and thru with self pity. I noticed the way Christian looked at me an hour ago-and it was the same as our wedding day. Get behind me Satan; you are not going to win this one.

My prayer for you is strength and wisdom. James 1: 5-7 says “If you need wisdom ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But, when you ask Him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave on the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord"

So believe that God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do. He will not, He CANNOT lie to you. Just ask Him for the Wisdom to discern His beautiful Truth from the ugly lies that Satan is so eager to whisper in your ear.





Tug of War, Part II


It feels like the lies keep coming. This time they aren't whispers, this scares me. Sometimes it feels like everything, including God is working against us. The lies this time include things like..."Why are you even serving this God? What has He done for you?" I feel like Job and everything around me is telling me to forget God and go on with my life. Sometimes I wonder if Christianity is real or if we, Christians, are as delusional as we think Muslims or Buddhists are.

Like I said, these are not whispers like before. Not some subtle attempt to win my loyalty. These are the desperate cries of a being in his last ditch effort to forever win my soul. So you must pose the question, how does one defeat the master of deceit?

A friend once told me that you know you are growing spiritually when you feel Satan trying to steal you back. She said that Satan tries so hard to win your life, if he senses you are growing in God he (Satan) will do everything in his power to gain your loyalty. So, you need to worry if you do NOT feel like the rope in a massive spiritual tug of war between God and Satan, that’s when you should worry.

Let me put it this way-live your life in a way that will always make the evil one worry that he is losing your allegiance. Give him something to worry about. If Satan is not worried about your soul then you should be.



Your sister in Christ, 
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment